[Cialug] Gmail archiving and firefox reading as text/plain

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 08:31:25 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> On Tuesday November 4 2008 18:09, Colin Burnett wrote:
>>1) I'd like to archive my gmail email locally and I know there's lots
>>of options out there, what do you use?
>
> Could you run a local imap server and use imapsync? It should be
> cron'able as you requested, and will get all your folders ("labels")
> and everything. We recently used it at work to migrate ~8000 accounts
> from one e-mail system to another.

I could but my preference is not to.  I first tried fetchmail but it
was wanting a local mail server to deliver to.  I then gave getmail a
shot and it seemed to pull the emails down into a Maildir format but I
had to manually list my "folders", or at least I didn't readily find
an option to tell it to look at all of them.

My goal isn't to use this copy for actual use (a local imap server is
heading that direction) just a plain-Jane backup/archive/copy for
whatever reason.

Colin