[Cialug] irc proxy

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Nov 4 16:18:22 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:19 PM, chris <chris at ia.gov> wrote:

>> The IRC client I use is pidgin. What happens when you use this type of
>> product and reconnect after a weekend, do you suddenly get flooded
>> with all of the backlog? Can anyone recommend a particular IRC proxy I
>> can run on my own personal (Ubuntu 6.06) server?
>
> If you are willing to change clients, consider a combination of irssi (or
> other console client) and screen.  I keep a perpetual connection to freenode
> with it and never miss a beat.

I've tried to make the switch to text-based clients like irssi and
couldn't (or chose not to) do it. There are three reasons, one is that
I rely on audio notifications and the notification area icon. Another
reason is that I recently switched to pidgin from xchat because I just
disliked having different applications that do about the same thing.
Plus the learning curve is too high. I'm so busy lately that I don't
have time to learn a completely new paradigm.

I'm really happy with pidgin, I'm thinking of something more along the
lines of this: http://andy.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/detachable-irc-proxy-dircproxy/
but it seems like there are numerous choices and I'm not feeling brave
enough to go into the unknown at the moment.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode