[Cialug] RFC 808

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:43:11 CDT 2008

RFC 808 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc808) describes an early meeting
about email:

"On 10 January 1979 we are holding a meeting at BBN in Cambridge, MA,
starting at 0930, to discuss Message Service support on the ARPANET.
The purpose of the meeting is to provide a basis for any
standardization of efforts which may be necessary.  We will take
stock of the various message services currently available on the
ARPANET, discuss problems which have been encountered between
different message systems, review current protocols and review
forthcoming developments.  An agenda is given below.  Each of you
should be prepared to discuss current problems you are aware of and
any developments which impact future message service."

One portion of the RFC is here:

"There was a discussion of Personal Computers.

"Tom Knight gave a short discription of the Lisp Machine project.

"There was some general discussion of the impact of personal
computers on mail services.  The main realization being that the
personal computer will not be available to handle incoming mail
all the time.  Probably, personal computer users will have their
mailboxes on some big brother computer (which may be dedicated to
mailbox service, or be a general purpose host) and poll for their
mail when they want to read it.  There were some concerns raised
about accountability and accounting."

I love RFCs.  They're so interesting.

-todd