[Cialug] tornado-proofing your data?

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu May 29 22:23:22 CDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Dan Hockey wrote:

>> I still have yet to figure how to collect wind speed data using a
>> linux
>> box. Anyone know of some Linux software that collects data from a
>> serial
>> port and dumps it into a .csv file? At the moment, I take the .csv
>> file
>> from a windows box, copy it onto a thumb drive, carry it over to a
>> linux
>> box and import the data into a Mysql database.
>
> That sounds like a perfect job for a basic stamp. The downside is
> you would
> have to use the windows software to program it. Use the stamp to
> collect the
> data and send it out via rs-232 or use one the wireless modules.

A basic stamp, while fun to play with, is about 10x too expensive if
all you want is a rotational speed reading at your serial port.

A $2.50 16 PPR, binary rotary encoder connected directly to the RX
line of a 9600 baud serial port could reliably read blips at up (9600
bits per second / 32 bits per revolution) * 60 seconds per minute =
18,000 RPM. Case/CPU fan speeds are measured with a very similar
system. You could probably even power the thing off of one of the
serial port flow-control lines and make the whole thing a two-wire
system.

	Zach