[Cialug] tornado-proofing your data?

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed May 28 02:00:58 CDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Dan Hockey wrote:

> Have you priced solar panels and batteries lately?
>
> Keep in mind your solar array is going to be 2x to 3x larger in
> order to
> charge the battery bank with the ~4hr of useable sunlight(for ia)
> for fixed
> solar panels.

If my dimensional analysis is right, you could store 12 kW*hours by
lifting a mere 500,000 kg about 10 meters. Just start storing your old
UPS batteries (or dead batteries from someone else's battery-based
tornado backup) in the attic for use as a working mass. Then when the
tornado triggers a structural failure in the building containing the
main data store -- the very event you are protecting against -- your
gravity-based generator is automatically activated.

	Zach