[Cialug] OT: Twitter users?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue May 20 11:31:11 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I don't "get" about blogging is how to write when no one is
> listening.  Sure, if you're successful people post comments.  But I
> just don't have enough interesting material of a specific nature to
> really attract an audience.  I'd rather just write about stuff.

> I think a successful blogger has to have a specific topic or two.

Just write. I have two goals when I blog, write things I don't want to
forget and write things that I think someone else might find
interesting or useful.

So for example, I recently blogged about how my daughter learned to
crawl. No one outside my family cares about that but someday I'll come
back to this and remember it fondly.

I also blogged about how to use openssl to test an HTTPS website
similar to the way you can use telnet <hostname> 80 to test an HTTP
website. Since I only have to do this once in a long while it's nice
to write it down somewhere so that I can remember it, and I've also
received feedback that it helped someone else too, which is just a
little extra icing on the cake.
(in case you're interested, see [1])

As I've gotten more familiar with the platform I've started to drift
away from the, "I like to hear myself talk" type of content.

[1] http://www.bearfruit.org/blog/2008/04/17/telnet-for-testing-ssl-https-websites

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode