[Cialug] install help on Dell Inspiron 1100

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue May 13 13:20:00 CDT 2008

> Thanks.  I'm getting the 8.04 xubuntu alternate iso right now.  Maybe
> that will fit the hardware better.  I just finally upgraded one of my
> machines from 256MB to 2GB a few months ago.  I still run another with
> 256MB and one with 128MB.  Boy am I out of date!  Just trying to
> supply an internet laptop to a relative.  Thought 256M was enough!

The BLOAT has hit everything.  I blame Vista and MS.  Fortunately some people still take the time to slim down Linux.  You may fare better using Xubuntu.  It is designed to be spry on meager machines.

You can convert to it when you are done by apt-get (or pick your poison) xubuntu-desktop I believe.  There are probably a lot of pointers for it.

-Nate