[Cialug] Happy Hardy Herron (beta) Day

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sat Mar 22 22:52:45 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Chris Freeman <cwfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been running the last two releases of Ubuntu (7.04 and 7.10) on
> Thinkpads. I've had no problems except for suspend/hibernate. I gather those
> issues aren't solved yet for most people (well, Linux users, anyway).
>
> I don't know about Atheros. I do know that some people have had problems
> with HP laptops. Otherwise, download and enjoy!!
>
> > Honestly, I've been staying away from the heathen debian distros.
> > Ubuntu anyway.  :P
> >
> > At least until I see that the desktop distros can go on a laptop with no
> > fuss, no muss.
> > The last distro I tried, fedora core5 I think, still had a bunch of
> > hoops for getting wireless running.
> >
> > Anyone know if the more recent distros like Unbuntu, Fedora, etc "just
> > work" for the most part?

Well, its not that hard to download the install cd which is also a
live cd and try it out. I'm using hardy heron now (have been since
Christmas (aprox)). This version and the last were absolutely no fuss
for me. wireless, sound, suspend/hibernate worked out of the box. prev
version had minor issues with sound but worked good.

Cutting edge hardware and/or hardware with only proprietary drivers
are most likely to have problems. Still, they are working pretty good
these days. Nvidia video cards and most of the wireless chipsets work
very well with the binary only drivers.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode