[Cialug] [OT] Dates [Originally: Tribox]

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Thu Mar 13 15:59:09 CDT 2008

Nathan Stien wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM,  <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To reduce future load on the intertubes Google has implemented quantum
>> routing.  Excessive packets are routed back to a previous lull in IP traffic
>> and then held for delivery at the appropriate time once the packet's TTL has
>> been properly adjusted for years of wait time.
>>

> Funny you should mention that, as my next browser tab over has this article:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_loop_logic
>
> """
> Time loop logic is a system of computation that requires the computer
> to be able to send data backwards through time, and relies upon the
> Novikov self-consistency principle to force the result of a
> computation sent backwards through time to be correct. This approach
> can overcome many limitations on traditional algorithmic complexity.
> It is commonly used as a hypothetical example of an ontological
> paradox in quantum physics.
>
> Example:
> A program exploiting time loop logic can be quite simple in outline.
> So for example, to find a factor for a large number:
>
>    1. wait for the result to be transmitted from the future.
>    2. upon receiving the result, test whether it is a factor by
> dividing the input number by it.
>          1. if the received result is indeed a correct factor of the
> number, send the result back in time.
>          2. else if the received result is not a correct factor of the
> number (or no result is received at all within the desired timeframe),
> generate a number different from the received result and send it back
> in time. Note that this results in a paradox, since the result sent
> back is not the same as the one that was received.
> """
>
> When I try this, for some reason my program never gets past step 1.
> Maybe I have a semicolon in the wrong place.
>
> - Nathan

I've been experimenting with IIPRIP - Infinite Improbability Packet
Routing Internet Protocol. It works by sending a packet through all
possible routes at the same time. The packet that gets there first
obviously found the fastest / shortest route. All the other packets,
seeing what big losers they are, lose the will to live and just
disappear from the network. Still working out the bugs in it, I'll let
you know when I have it functioning.

This gets around all of those messy time-space continuum paradoxes,
unless one of your packets is routed through a wormhole. Then you're
screwed.

-dc