[Cialug] Tips for a green(er) data center

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Tue Mar 11 10:46:43 CDT 2008

We use the heat off the computers to heat the rest of the building.  I
don't know what it is now, but 10 - 15 years ago we didn't use any
additional heat until the outside temperature was below zero.

I haven't been in the computer room for a decade or more, until last
week.  (Improved security you know.)  I was surprised at how much empty
space there was in the computer room now.

I can remember when our online system disk farm was 5 rows of 22 disk
packs, each in a machine almost the size of a washer or drier.  Now it's
in two boxes the size of an upright freezer and they have an order of
magnitude more capacity and aren't full, but we wanted the redundancy.

We've been through 4 building expansions in the last 2 decades so I'm
sure we have to start using additional heating sooner now.  On the other
hand, most now have a computer on their desk and every one of them is
generating heat, many all night as well as all day, whether or not they
are doing something useful.

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-033
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 890-9660  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."