[Cialug] OT: Best phone for the geek

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Mar 4 12:04:01 CST 2008

I've heard that some Treo's can be unstable - not sure if it's a
firmware issue or what. My Treo 600 was pretty stable - I had to reboot
it about once or twice a month. Not much more than most of the other
modern phones I've had, like Nokia / Symbian and Sony/Ericson phones.

As far as who will have Android phones first - worldwide, GSM phones are
much more popular, and the newest features usually come out for GSM
phones first. So, I'd bet AT&T or T-Mobile will have one before the
other US carriers. Or... you'll be able to get an unlocked GSM phone and
use it on their network.

I've been a GSM customer (first T-Mobile, now AT&T) for about 10 years.
I don't have any complaints about their current service coverage,
although when I first got it, it was very spotty once you got out of
town. It works just about everywhere now, except for some rare occasions
when I'm camping or something. I had coverage just about 100% of the
time on RAGBRAI last summer. Only problem I had was in some small towns
the network was overloaded, so I could only communicate via SMS. I don't
know why, when you have a town of 600 suddenly overrun by 7000 bikers. :)

-dc