[Cialug] SATA the norm these days?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Mon Jun 23 08:03:20 CDT 2008

I built my current home machine a bit less than a year ago. At the time,
SATA hard drives compared to IDE were slightly cheaper and more models
were available. Optical drives were a different story. I did *not* want
any IDE cables inside my machine. There were very few models of SATA
DVD-everything drives, but i did manage to find one. I haven't looked
this year, but i'd expect SATA optical drives are easier to find now.
It doesn't make sense to waste space on a motherboard for IDE just to
run an optical drive.