[Cialug] Kubuntu install problem

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Tue Jun 10 20:40:07 CDT 2008

I'm combining what I did from the two e-mails of suggestions that I
received.

> This last bit you mentioned about grub loading when you try to boot
off the CD indicates that the computer is not booting from the CD. So
first step is to get that working again. Watch your CD drive, is the
light coming on leading up to the boot process? Check your boot order.

I got into the BIOS and the boot order is CDROM, floppy, Hard drive.

OK, I tried it again.  I must not have selected boot from the CD option
and tried to boot twice from the hard drive.  I was able to boot from
the CD tonight.  Or maybe the disk wasn't seated properly in the drive.

Once I got the live cd up, I went to system and found a place to start a
command shell in the lower right hand corner.  I clicked where it said
"Open Terminal Here".  I typed in 'grub' and hit enter.  Some stuff
scrolled off the screen.  There is a scroll bar on the right side of the
screen, but I couldn't scroll back to it.  It left me with a prompt of
"grub>" so I typed in the find as recommended.

> From the grub command line simply run:

	find /boot/grub/stage1

The response to that is:  "Error 15: File not found"

So in the 'Dolphin' window I clicked on storage media.  This time there
were 3 local drives listed.  What are my C: and E: drives and a new one
that would be the right size for the Kubuntu install.  I clicked on it
and the error message "hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 999" showed
up at the bottom of the screen.

I right clicked on the drive and two 'mount' command showed up when I
put my cursor over 'actions'.  I clicked on the first one with the "M"
underlined and received the same error.  So I clicked on the second one
with the "u" underlined, and received the same error yet again.

There doesn't seem to be a device listed for the swap space I defined.
I don't know if that's significant or not.

> If you have 7G unused on your first drive you may want to strongly
consider installing there and then putting the /home on your second
drive.

I "think" that the 7G of unused space is actually "hidden" Windows
system install files.  But I'm not sure of that.

OK, I'm new at Linux, and some aspects of running my own machine.

> In case you're really stuck, it never hurts to check out #cialug on
freenode (irc chat room). There's usually about 10 people in there.
Might be good for live troubleshooting.

Is there a default windows program that will do IRC chat?  (I can't
install anything on this office machine, and I can't get my home machine
up and running until grub gets fixed.)

I don't know how to make Linux dial the modem and connect to an ISP once
I get it up.

Thanks,

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 890-9660  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."