[Cialug] Kubuntu install problem

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Jun 10 09:49:35 CDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 9:01 AM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
 > wrote:

> I think then it said "GRUB loading, please wait"
>
> And unfortunately after that I received
>
> "ERROR 17"
>
> So, now I can't boot the Live CD.
> I can't boot from the installed Kubuntu.
> I can't boot to Windows either.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#In_a_computer_with_more_then_one_hard

When grub runs from inside the installer it just guesses at which disk
the BIOS thinks will be (hd0). It's not always right when there is
more than one choice, particularly when the actual boot disk is a CD.

As suggested in the link, you might be able to fix it just by mucking
with your boot disk order in the BIOS. Another solution get into grub,
and then redo the grub setup from inside the pre-boot environment.
 From that environment grub can correctly determine the order in which
the BIOS will enumerate disks.

 From the grub command line simply run:

	find /boot/grub/stage1

which will tell you which disk and partition(s) contain the named
file. There should only be one unless you've installed grub on more
than one partition. Pick the one you want and then run:

	root (hdX,Y)

Where X and Y match the disk and partition returned by the find
command. This command tells grub you want to install from the named
partition, and to use the menu file from that partition. Finally, run:

	setup(hd0)

to actually install the new MBR on whatever disk the BIOS considers to
be first.

	Zach