[Cialug] Fiber Internet

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jun 3 23:47:30 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Neal Daringer <admin at c0wzftp.com> wrote:
> beforwarned i have heard that qwest is doing major upgrades to their
> network. none of which, that i have heard, is actually fiber to the home.
> they are increasing their dsl service speeds to better compete with current
> cable company offerings. of course, i hope i am wrong, for all of our sakes.
> fiber to the home is like the holy grail for internet service. almost
> impossible to come by and when you have the opportunity to have it you must
> respect it and treat it as though it was your first born child.

Qwest's calls it's fiber upgrades FTTN - Fiber To The Neighbourhood.
I think that means that they will run fiber to a cabinet in your
neighborhood, and then run on copper to your home.  Basically, all
this is doing is bringing the DSLAM closer to your home which allows
running DSL at speeds faster than the 1.5M most people can get when
the DSLAM is in the central office.  According to Qwest's web site
it's not available to me in Ankeny - I wasn't able to find a full
listing of the cities that they are deploying in though.

http://www.qwest.com/vdsl/learn/vdsl.html
http://www.qwest.com/residential/internet/fiber-optics.html