[Cialug] old laptop as file server

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Jul 29 15:47:13 CDT 2008

Just curious, are you just running this at home? If you're planning to
use it for anything more than that, the speed of the USB storage is
going to be a bottleneck. Does that laptop have USB 2.0?

You could try some of the NAS specific distros - I haven't used them
personally, but I've heard a couple of them are pretty nice.

If you're just doing a simple Samba share for home or something, I
usually just set it up with Webmin and go. The distro isn't that
important - use what you like, but you'll probably want remove un-needed
stuff for security / memory reasons.

-dc