[Cialug] old laptop as file server

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Jul 29 15:45:55 CDT 2008

Try OpenFiler:  http://www.openfiler.com/ .  The last time I looked at
it, it worked reasonably well.

If you roll your own, it really doesn't matter which general distro you
use.  Just choose one based on update cycle and comfort level (I tend to
go with SUSE for cutting-edge stuff and CentOS for long-term stable
stuff, but it's really just personal preference at that point).

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Kendall Bailey" <krbailey at gmail.com> 07/29/08 3:40 PM >>>
I have an old Thinkpad 770e with 192MB RAM (I think).  It has XUbuntu
6.06 installed, and I'd like to use it as a file server with USB
attached storage.  So just Samba and SSH would need to be running.
Any advice?  Anyone using a live CD distro that's designed for this?
Biggest concern is security.  I'll want something like DenyHosts
running and SSH to be up to date.  Should I just run Debian stable and
configure by hand, or is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Kendall