[Cialug] E-mail

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Wed Jul 23 13:49:09 CDT 2008

On Wednesday July 23 2008 12:37, Richard Harms wrote:
>Last I remember from last August you guys were still using PMDF.
>That's gotta be a welcome change. :)

Yes. The old system (both hardware and software) is 12 years old. Zimbra
will be quite an improvement. The tricky part is integrating it with
the rest of our infrastructure in such a way that few people notice the
change (other than the downtime during the switch). Of course, webmail
users will notice a big change, since Zimbra is rather different than
the Horde/Imp webmail we provide now. Provisioning Zimbra and then
copying over everyone's old mail is proving to be non-trivial. Not
because of anything wrong with Zimbra (or with the old system for that
matter), but just because it is such a big change.