[Cialug] OT: 10 Gigabit Ethernet

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Jul 22 10:28:57 CDT 2008

Is anyone using 10GbE?  It looks to me like a wholly different animal from fast or gigabit Ethernet (Same rules, more delicate medium) - is it?  Are the cables vastly different and more expensive?  Who manufactures GbE Switches?  Cisco, and a few others?

I was interested in using it in a SAN and over copper but if everything is different maybe optical will be faster, cover more distance and make more sense?

Any bets on when 10GbE will really hit the mainstream?

-Nate