[Cialug] 'whoami' versus 'who am i', or Identity crisis in Linux-Land

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Mon Jul 21 16:14:47 CDT 2008

On Monday July 21 2008 15:56, Colin Burnett wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I have no idea why I get such a kick out of this command, other than
>> the fact that it looks like it should not be a real command.
>
>`who mom likes`

>From who(1):

"If FILE is not specified, use /var/run/utmp.  /var/log/wtmp as FILE  is
 common.   If  ARG1  ARG2  given, -m presumed: ‘am i’ or ‘mom likes’ are
 usual."

So who plus any two words that don't begin with a dash are OK.