[Cialug] Qwest Actiontec M1000 + Netgear WGR614 Router = Double NAT :-(

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 16 22:13:13 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Dave Weis <djweis at internetsolver.com> wrote:
> Aaron Korver wrote:
>>
>> The reason that I want to use "Bridged" mode is so I can open up ports
>> through the router to the outside world.  If I leave things as-is, my modem
>> gives my router an internal IP Address 192.168.0.2 <http://192.168.0.2>, and
>> then my router hands out IP addresses to my computers on a different subnet.
>>  Thus my computers get assigned 192.168.1.X.  The Modem can't see the
>> computers, only the router, and my ports only get opened on the router, not
>> the modem.
>>
>> This becomes problematic when you want to do things like VoIP, torrents,
>> WoW, etc :-)
>
> The easiest thing to do is just use a modem with wireless built and and not
> use the second level of NAT.

I've got a similar setup... main diff being I have a buffalo router.

When I set mine up initially I goofed it up and had to call qwest. I
booted my laptop into windows, connected it to the modem via ethernet
and then set it up using their software. Once done I disconnected my
pc and turned off the modem - plugged it into my router and voila! it
worked.

My router is set to handout 192.168.1.x IP addresses - this is only
important because it has to be something other than 192.168.0.x since
that's used by the link between the modem and router. In the actiontec
firmware you can change settings via http://192.168.0.1/ (which you
probably know). In there go to advanced settings and change the DMZ
host IP to 192.168.0.2. This will cause it to forward all ports to
your router and then you can deal with your port forwarding settings
on the router. Other than this I didn't need to change anything on the
modem after I configured it in Windows the first time. My router
doesn't know anything about ppoe or etc.

I don't like the modems with the built in wireless. Maybe there's
different models but the one I saw had a hard time handling lots of
connections.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode