[Cialug] the other cool new phone

Bill Davis bill.davis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 15:09:55 CDT 2008

Not really a hidden fact.  Go to AT&T web site and use their coverage map,
and it will tell you that there is no 3G in Iowa.   I went checked the other
day because I was fairly sure we didn't.   The AT&T web page about the
iPhone points you at the coverage map at one point - that's how I found the
coverage map!   They probably have coverage maps in the stores (last I
looked).

I have a feeling the salesfolk here will TELL you, too.  Otherwise everyone
will come back to the store saying "How come I can't get 3G to work?"

I'd like the GPS in the new phone, and16B instead of 8GB, but I don't plan
on upgrading my iPhone until they get 3G here.   I'll get all the new
features except 3G and GPS tonight for free when I upgrade my iPhone to OS
2.0 anyway.

2G (aka EDGE) ain't that horrible, frankly. I use the web browsing while out
and about all the time and it's indispensible.  The old "web browser" on my
prior phone was a joke.  Safari on iPhone is VERY usable.  And of course
anywhere there is an open WiFi hot spot, it will use it (automatically if
you've been there before and used it, or it will tell you and ask if you
want to use it if not).  Handy.

- Bill