[Cialug] git in structured environment

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jul 10 23:37:24 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Aaron Korver <aaron.korver at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually Jeffery, I have to disagree with you.  SVN just came out with the
> new 1.5 version of the software.  Now granted, it wasn't a feature from the
> start, but now it does track the merges between branches.

No, I was aware of Subversion 1.5's "merge" feature.  All that they
appear to have done is to incorporate what the external svnmerge
script does (Digium is a big user of the svnmerge script for
developing Asterisk).  It's an hack, and not one of those cool hacks,
this is an ugly hack that papers over the fact that Subversion can't
properly track merges.

Plus, even in their release notes they say merging support is
incomplete and slow.  It's likely to be buggy too since this is the
first release that has this new feature.

I highly doubt that SVN's "merge" tracking will ever be as good as a
VCS built from the ground up to track merges.

> It also added the
> feature to shelf code until the developer is ready to check in.

Potentially useful, but it's still a far cry from what you can do with
a distributed VCS (even though some DVCSs have a stash command, Git
included).

> So the SVN developers have been seeing what Git is doing and trying to improve SVN.

I'm tempted to quote things about "silk purses" and "sow's ears".

Jeff