[Cialug] Silicon Image 3124 SATA PCI controller

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:06:01 CDT 2008

I purchased two 750 GB drives and a PCI/SATA controller (Silicon Image
3124 based), specifically:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136150

I'm having troubles finding much on which kernel module to use.  So
far I have the following compiled as modules but neither seem to do
the trick:

Device Drivers > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
  > Silicon Image chipset support
  > SiS5513 chipset support

$ lspci -v

00:08.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3124 PCI-X Serial
ATA Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. Unknown device 7124
        Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
        Memory at df00d000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
        Memory at df000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=16]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 20000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [40] PCI-X non-bridge device
        Capabilities: [54] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-

I find nothing in dmesg or messages that seems relevant.  This is a
PATA-only system so I need to recheck that everything is in order for
sata drives but I presume I need appropriate chipset support for the
PCI card before I can get to the SATA drives so I'm asking first while
I continue my quest.

Colin