[Cialug] Telecom Immunity

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:12:50 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:

> The first change is that all laws automatically expire some period of
> time after they are passed, unless they are renewed.

Many laws are already like that.  First PATRIOT act was time limited,
IIRC.  Mitigating damage is nice and all but doesn't solve the
problem.

> The second change i would propose is that no bill may address more than
> 1 issue.

#define issue please

Better solution: line item voting.

> The third change i'd advocate is that an individual only be allowed a
> certain number of years in political offices before mandatory
> retirement from politics.

I figure 2 terms per level of government.  2 as city something, 2 as
county something, 2 as state something, 2 as federal something.

> Finally, the voting system ought to be overhauled to something that does
> not inevitably lead to 2 parties that are more-or-less the same.

Not finding a WP article but I like systems of ranking where you get a
2nd, 3rd, etc. choice.  Pick your methodology for awarding "points".

> Now, returning to the telecom immunity issue... exactly how is giving
> these companies retroactive immunity not a violation of the
> Constitution? Specifically this line from Article 1, Section 9: "No
> bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

Section 9b says "Just kidding".

Colin