[Cialug] Telecom Immunity

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Thu Jul 10 16:32:42 CDT 2008

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
[clip]
> The third change i'd advocate is that an individual only be allowed a
> certain number of years in political offices before mandatory
> retirement from politics. My understanding is that originally senators
> and the like were expected to leave their lives for a term in office,
> then go back to their normal life. When people make a career out of
> politics they seem to care more about amassing power than serving their
> constituents.

[/clip]

I believe this (along with real campaign reform) is the best bet for
"fixing" US politics.

For campaign financing reform - I'd make it so you have a severe limit
on what can be spent, and all campaigning happens in a public forum -
i.e. public television / radio, newspaper or web sites, and debates. No
advertising at all allowed. Now PAC's or other contributions.

-dc