[Cialug] Telecom Immunity

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Jul 10 16:31:30 CDT 2008

On Thursday July 10 2008 16:23, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>> The first change is that all laws automatically expire some period
>> of time after they are passed, unless they are renewed.
>
>I would add a requirement that the whole body of law be memorizable by
> a "reasonable and average person" so it shouldn't be any longer than
> about 10-20 pages.

I think automatic sunset would tend to keep the totality of law a lot
smaller than it is now. 10-20 pages sounds a bit *too* small to me, but
i think we'd agree that the law should be small enough (and written
simply enough) that an adult of average intelligence and education
should be able to read and understand the entirety of it within a
reasonably short period of time. We might disagree in that i'd
say "reasonably short" should be somewhere in the range 100-500
hours--basically a part-time hobby for a year. I'm not sure how to
specify this limitation in more objective terms that wouldn't rely on
some hypothetical "average person" though.