[Cialug] git in structured environment

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:21:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Lathrop Preston
<lathrop at prestonfam.org> wrote:

> Personally I agree with Tim here. Git might be useful however I think that
> the "normal" VCS system is much more suited to a developer shop model. We
> have developers, designers, and "production" people all working against
> common code bases. The Git model just seems to complicate the VC compared to
> say SVN if you are using it right. I can see how it might be useful in a
> distributed setup (still a bit wary) but the number of merges & conflicts
> that Git seems inclined to generate would be a pain in your average shop.

Linus totes git as being fantastic for merging.  He does, after all,
merge entire kernel trees...which is some 20k files and he expects it
to be done sub-second. :)

I've been tempted to use git on my work machine (in tandem to CVS, not
in lieu of CVS) as a means of local control (git-stash is amazingly
handy).  Otherwise a simple diff takes order of seconds to hit the
server, authenticate, and do the diff.

Colin