[Cialug] git in structured environment

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jul 10 13:17:54 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Lathrop Preston
<lathrop at prestonfam.org> wrote:
> The Git model just seems to complicate the VC compared to
> say SVN if you are using it right. I can see how it might be useful in a
> distributed setup (still a bit wary) but the number of merges & conflicts
> that Git seems inclined to generate would be a pain in your average shop.

Learning to use a DVCS changes the way you use VC in general. Using
CVS/SVN I was always fearful of merges. When you start to incorporate
branching and merging into your normal daily/weekly development
process you find they are really not scary at all. And then you start
using them the way they were meant to be used.

Your work always happens on branches and you can create a new branch
for trying something out. Then scrap it or merge it. For other
developers the branch doesn't exist until you merge it somewhere. You
can do this with svn too but the mental barrier seems high because
it's not just a lightweight branch existing only on your local PC.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode