[Cialug] Fast 486's and jumbo shrimp (was: Which Distro is best?)

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Jul 10 08:22:54 CDT 2008

 I especially love the line on the Intel page:
In May 2006 Intel announced that production of the 80486 would cease at the end of September 2007.

It is mind-blowing to think that the 486 was produced up until a year ago.  However, it does go on to say that it was used in embedded systems.  I do recall seeing a Symbol handheld that had a 486DX2-66 processor in it.  It was much faster than the NEC V20 and V30 processors that other handhelds used.  (Even though the handheld itself was a piece of junk).

The very first Blackberrys (looked like pagers, no embedded phone) had embedded 386 processors in them.