[Cialug] Fast 486's and jumbo shrimp (was: Which Distro is best?)

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Jul 9 21:46:40 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Don Cady <doncady at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahh... those good old DX2-80s and DX4-100s. good times, good times.

Here's something that will bring back even more memories:
Intel 486 Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486

AMD 486 Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am486

I especially love the line on the Intel page:
In May 2006 Intel announced that production of the 80486 would cease at the
end of September 2007.

It is mind-blowing to think that the 486 was produced up until a year ago.
However, it does go on to say that it was used in embedded systems.  I do
recall seeing a Symbol handheld that had a 486DX2-66 processor in it.  It
was much faster than the NEC V20 and V30 processors that other handhelds
used.  (Even though the handheld itself was a piece of junk).

> Don
>
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com>
> wrote:
> > Nathan Stien wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley
> >> <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu <mailto:daniel.ramaley at drake.edu>> wrote:
> >>
> >>    Wasn't the slowest 486 running at 25 MHz? 8 sounds a bit slow. How
> >>    fast
> >>    did Intel go with the 486? I know the 66 MHz version was quite
> popular
> >>    for awhile. I seem to (vaguely) remember some late-model 486's at 75
> >>    and 100 MHz. AMD made a 486 running at 133 MHz (i still have one
> >>    running in a cardboard box as my firewall). I don't know about any
> >>    faster than that though.
> >>

> >> I find the idea of 133 MHz 486's amusing, mainly because my first
> pentium
> >> ran at a blistering 60 MHz.  ~1995, IIRC.
> >
> > We had one of the first commercially available Pentiums - an AST P-90,
> which
> > was a complete lemon. It seemed significantly slower than the 486-100's
> we
> > were running at the time. Last fall I took the case for that one out and
> > shot it full of holes at the shooting range. I can't tell you how
> satisfying
> > it was to put a couple of .50 BMG holes through that box.
> >
> > My first PC I purpose-built had an AMD 486-100, which was pretty much the
> > fastest processor I could get at the time. It was a pretty good machine
> > (despite the SiS chipset), lasted me 3 or 4 years as a workstation, then
> > another couple of years as a server.
> >
> > -dc

Tim