[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Mon Jul 7 22:17:13 CDT 2008

Colin Burnett wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:43 AM, James Shoemaker <james at dhlake.com> wrote:
>> Colin Burnett wrote:
>>> However, the distro is 99% irrelevant to learning "linux" or programming.
>>  With the configuration differences between distros I am not sure I would go
>> 99%.  I personally use debian and at work we have several suse boxes and are
>> constantly frustating me as to where they keep this or that config file,
>> there are times I have had to use grep -r just to find the config option I
>> want to change.  The ubuntu box is fine as it's closely related to my
>> "normal" system.
>>
>> James
>
> Your frustrations are due because you're a debian user "stuck" in
> suse-land.  If you were a suse user then it wouldn't bother you,
> right?

   But if he picks the "wrong" distro from one he may encounter on
school/work systems it may be very frustrating/confusing.  I still
remember my frustrating transition from Slackware to Debian and
encountering the sys V init system.  Sys V init is much better than
dealing with rc.local, but it was confusing the first time I saw it ages
and ages ago.
   I ran rc.local WAY WAY too long as I was building everything from
scratch (yes that includes clib and the compiler) rather than installing
a new distro.

James