[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Mon Jul 7 13:05:42 CDT 2008

as of a couple of years ago, the officially supported distro for ISU is
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) - they had a site license for the
full-fledged version.  If you want to stick to that route, you can check
out CentOS, which is the free-as-in-beer version of RHEL, or you can use
Fedora, which is the RHEL proving ground

I would guess that most of ISU's documentation is going to be Red
Hat-centric, so if you want the easiest time connecting to the
university services (email, AFS, hesiod/kerberos, etc), I'd stick to the
Red Hat flavors, but the tools can be used on any distro, once you know
the basics

you may also want to check out the Ames Free Unix Group (amesfug.org) -
  they're pretty dormant, but a lot of the ISU network/sysadmin guys are
on that list (several are here on cialug too)

-barry (adding my confusion points :)