[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:28:00 CDT 2008

I personally think that the 'source based' distros are great for a
decently prepared Linux user to kick their Linux knowledge up a notch,
but are a bad first experience of Linux for the reasons you specified.

I know when I first started with Linux I had to reinstall quite a few
times after seriously foobaring a machine.. I would hate to have to
repeat the three-day process that is installing Gentoo on the hardware I
used that many times -- and that was with me knowing enough Linux to
avoid installing too many unneeded packages...