[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Jul 7 10:26:04 CDT 2008

Todd Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Nick Johnson <mainbass64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I will call up the school and ask them, that is a good idea. However, the
>> purpose of me getting into linux is for me to expand my knowledge of
>> computers and software. I really just inquire about how the actual system
>> works and how programming may be different or maybe how things work
>> differently. To tell you the truth, I like to figure stuff out, and I like
>> to be able to say that I have learned something on my own.
>>

> If you're willing to put the work in, and it sounds like you may be,
> then you might want to give Gentoo a chance.  The payoff is long term.

IMHO - gentoo is good if you really want to get into the inner workings,
but it is difficult to install and configure, and time consuming to
administer.

Everyone has their favorite distro, so you're going to get a different
answer from everyone. I'd say download a few and try them, and see which
one suits you. I've been through several distros, from Slackware,
Caldera, RedHat/Fedora/CentOS, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu/Kubuntu...

Personally I like Mandriva for it's ease of use, excellent hardware
support, and features, and Kubuntu 2nd.

-dc