[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Mon Jul 7 10:02:22 CDT 2008

Is there a specific tool you want to learn to code with that's on linux only?  If you already are comfortable with windows, and you're just looking to expand your coding knowledge with java and php, switching to linux to do that may not be that productive in the short term, as you'll be spending alot of time figuring out how to get things to work the way you expect them to work.  In this situation, your experience with windows may work against you.

If there are other reasons that you want to learn linux, this may help define what you're really looking for in a linux distro.

If you're still unsure after some of the comments made in this thread, I'd call up the school that you want to go to and ask them what distro they use and/or recommend.  Getting experience with the distro your college uses wouldn't hurt.

-Theron