[Cialug] Server Monitoring/Management

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:27:44 CST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 6:20 PM, Chris K. <lister at kulish.com> wrote:
> Colin,
>
> My primary basis for that statement was a dual 1G P3 server with 512M of
> RAM and 1024M of swap monitoring 2 physical devices (about 10-12
> services).  The poor thing began swap usage in about 15 minutes and had
> finally used everything (physical + swap) in about 8 hours.
>
> Keep in mind the Zenoss instances and MySQL DB were on the same server.

Like I said: I'm quite ignorant of monitoring in general and what
actions constitute "monitoring" so I'm not saying you are wrong or
anything of the sort.

That said, if it churns through 1/2 G in 15 minutes then it's
horribly, horribly, horribly bloated for **what little I think it's
doing** (Wirth's law) or its got an insane memory leak.  (By insane I
mean never-ever frees memory.  Ever.)  So I am thoroughly confused how
"pinging" 2 machines and "opening sockets" to a dozen ports requires
that much CPU time AND that much memory.

I was hoping for more of an explanation about what would take up a gig
of ram to monitor services.  It's not like server monitoring is
anything resembling rendering a 1080p animation or performing an FEA
on a bomb casing during a nuclear explosion, right?  *gulp*  :)

Colin