[Cialug] Server Monitoring/Management

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:15:13 CST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 6:03 PM, Chris K. <lister at kulish.com> wrote:

> Looks like Zenoss needs 1.5Ghz process and about 2GB of ram to really
> function well.  If you've used it for more than a couple devices, would
> you agree?

I don't do any sys admin work that needs monitoring but that seems
like an extremely fine point of Wirth's law:

"Software gets slower, faster than hardware gets faster."
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law

My first thought was: GOOD GOD!!!!!!  It blows my mind that you need
that much horsepower to monitor "a couple devices"....

What does it "monitor" enough to warrant 2 GB of ram?  (Seriously.)

Colin