[Cialug] dell laptops

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jan 24 11:39:00 CST 2008

The Dell XPS M1330 is the laptop I'd rather have over the macbook air.
Its nearly the same size and weight as the air but it has wireless USB
and you can upgrade the ram, hdd and put a bigger battery on it.

The XPS M1330 is now available preloaded with Ubuntu in Europe and
next week will be available here.

I wish that it were possible to get them preloaded to dual boot
between Ubuntu and Windows. I still dual boot on occasion but I'd be
nice to have the Dell preload of Ubuntu with DVD support. Plus I'd
like to put my vote in that Linux compatibility is important to me.

Anyway, if you want a slick Dell laptop, there's an option for you.
They don't get much more shiny than that. Too bad they don't seem to
offer the brown any more. That'd look awesome with an Ubuntu sticker
slapped on it.

On Jan 24, 2008 9:53 AM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:
> This one is pretty nicely equipped:
> Vostro 1500 - $599
>         Intel(R) Core™2 Duo Processor
>         Genuine Windows XP Home Edition or Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
>         2GB memory*
>         120GB* hard drive
>         CD/DVD burner
>         128MB NVIDIA(R) graphics card*
>

> I don't think they'd give you a lot of problems linux driver-wise. The
> one thing I'd see if you could customize would be the wifi card - switch
> to the Intel card that has a native linux driver, instead of the
> Dell/Broadcom chip that you'd have to use ndiswrapper for.
>
> If you're wanting a slick looking laptop, the Vostro isn't it. They look
> like a square black chunk. They also have the Latitude D531 for $649.
> IMHO the current Latitude line is pretty sharp looking.
>
> -dc
>

> Dave Weis wrote:
> >
> > There's a 2 day special on laptops probably containing lots of "driver
> > challenges" for $399-$649. The least expensive one is
> > Vostro™ 1000
> >     AMD Sempron™ processor
> >     Genuine Windows(R) XP Home Edition or Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Basic
> >     1GB memory*
> >     120GB* hard drive
> >     CD/DVD burner
> >     1-Year Limited Warranty* with Mail-In Service
> >
> > If anyone wants the url let me know, it's nothing through my company,
> > just one of the mailing lists.
> >
> > dave

Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode