[Cialug] Screen cast formats?

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Thu Jan 17 16:30:40 CST 2008

Brandon Griffis wrote:
> Who would our audience be?
>
> Theora is nice for our own copies.  Best quality, and promotes a
> potential cause.  But I would suggest whatever format we use that we
> also post to youtube.  We can link to our own hosting site from the
> clips so people can download and have info about the codec.  It also
> eliminates the need to host our own flash player for Theora.
>
> Youtube gets us possible random hits, it's easy to link to and from,
> everyone trusts it, and it shows that even though we're geeks we're
> willing to work within popular mechanisms for promotion/distribution.
>
> -B
>
> On Jan 17, 2008 2:18 PM, Matt Millard <gocyclones at eml.cc
> <mailto:gocyclones at eml.cc>> wrote:
>
>     So I've been doing testing of different screen recorders on Linux.
>     Notes
>     are here:
>     http://www.thevug.org/components/com_mambowiki/index.php?title=Screen_cast
>     <http://www.thevug.org/components/com_mambowiki/index.php?title=Screen_cast>
>     One question I'd like to throw out there is what format would we
>     want to
>     post these videos of our presentations in?  We'll likely use the
>     software to record during LUG meetings too if we have a presenter.
>      What
>     I'm thinking of doing is running this in a VM so that it can be
>     transfered around to different laptops and always have our setup
>     available.
>
>        * Ogg Theora
>           - Open source reference implimentation
>           - However not everyone has the codec to view the videos
>           - Possible solution is http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/ web
>             player for Ogg Theora
>        * Flash - YouTube etc.
>           - Huge audiance
>        * mpeg - iTunes
>           - Distributing as a video podcast
>        * Streaming?
>           - Add IRC to the mix and you could have interaction remotely
>     with
>             the live presentation.
>           - uStream.tv
>
>     Not all of the software I've tried does all of the formats, but it
>     should be possible to convert to whatever we need.  So what do you
>     think
>     we should be doing?
>
>     Matt
>     ---
>      Matt Millard
>      gocyclones at eml.cc <mailto:gocyclones at eml.cc>
>      http://photos.millardfam.com
>       http://urlcutter.net/MattsItems

Cialug has one audience worth pursuing, amongst others.  Consider the
entire world of open source advocates, users, and developers.  Imagine
when all LUGs will have a channel for uploading their video content.
Digital transmission occurs in February, 2009.  Cialug's content becomes
content for all local access tv networks in the country.  Just a matter
of making it available for them to choose.
Tom