[Cialug] OT: Online Petitions (was: OT: Choose the lesser evi l? Save XP?)

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:56:11 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 4:39 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> I Suppose I look at it a bit like playing the lottery.  If the InfoWorld
> servers get DOS'd from all the signers and they have to ship the petition to
> MS on 3 DVDs because of all the signatures, it just might be the one they
> take notice of.  One can hope I guess?

Fair enough.  I want to emphasize that I do not mean to criticize you
at all; I merely disagree about the expected benefits of
participating.  ("Men of good will may disagree," etc.)  And quite a
lot of people on this list are inconvenienced by Vista and would
conceivably be interested in the link.

> Sorry if I or this topic has stolen valuable minutes from your day or your
> life.  Maybe I can make it up to you with a valuable timesaving tip in the
> future.

It got me thinking about something in a new way ("would a perfectly
rational actor with given beliefs about petition effectiveness spend X
seconds signing an online petition?"), so I found the post valuable as
food for thought.  :-)

And yes, I fully appreciate the irony of prattling on about not
signing petitions long enough to have signed up many tens of times
already.  Mwahaha.

- Nathan