[Cialug] OT: Choose the lesser evil? Save XP?

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 13:36:55 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 1:27 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> Even
> though we are already on the Microsoft Train on the Microsoft track I don't
> want them to dictate when we have to pay to get to the next stop, or which
> stop that is.  If that makes any sense.

Microsoft could save themselves and the rest of us a lot of headaches
if they'd follow a model like Canonical does with Ubuntu.  Release
minor versions which you support for a short period of time, and
milestone versions which you stand behind for a much longer period of
time.  Make the schedule standard and regular and we can all plan
accordingly.

For now, all Microsoft does is say "we won't support this anymore as
of X date in the future."  To their credit, they still provide major
security patches for Windows 2000 server, which is well beyond its
usable life time (but in common use nonetheless).  It would be nice to
see security patches for older desktop systems, though.  How many
unpatched 9x and Me systems are out there still?

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc