[Cialug] OT: A la carte cable (was: no more UPS needed)

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:02:21 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 2:49 PM, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:
> I do like the PTC for one reason, they're pushing the hardest for a la
> carte cable, so they don't have to pay for the "smutty" channels

I used to be a believer in [mandatory] a la carte, but I have since
changed my mind.  I pretty much agree with this assessment about how
it would harm programming diversity:

http://www.techliberation.com/archives/043010.php

And this is an interesting one about the conjunction between a la
carte and PTC-style efforts to censor television:

http://www.techliberation.com/archives/042416.php

Tech Liberation Front is in general a pretty good tech law blog, if
you're into that sort of thing.

- Nathan