[Cialug] something like OSX /usr/bin/say on linux?

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:48:26 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
>  Where did you find festival lacking?

I couldn't get it to do anything sensible in a span of 5 minutes, and
decided I'd ping the collective linux wisdom of the lug before I
invested a lot of effort in figuring it out. ;-)

It wanted to run a daemon and in general seemed a lot more complicated
than I was looking for.  I ran /usr/bin/festival and got dropped into
what looks like a lisp prompt.  I ran the help command, tried
variations on (SayText "hello world"), and got bupkiss.

I don't need quality or flexibilty, I just want talking shell scripts.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:
>  You can do stuff like this:
>
>  echo "Hello world" | festival --tts

Yeah, I eventually tried that.  On my system, I get no sound.  Every
other audio app I have works fine.

I don't really want to debug a sound issue over a mailing list today, though :-)

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

- Nathan