[Cialug] something like OSX /usr/bin/say on linux?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Feb 28 11:35:28 CST 2008

Festival is as easy as it gets.

I've played with the others, but they emphasize quality over ease of
use.  There are also license issues with different voice files.

That said, festival does have the ability to simply speak a file, so it
should be trivial to write a shell wrapper to do what "say" does.  It
might even already exist in some packages.

Where did you find festival lacking?

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Nathan Stien" <nathanism at gmail.com> 02/28/08 11:31 AM >>>
Hello luggers,

Does anyone know if there is an ultra-simple text-to-speech program
for Linux?  On Mac OS X there is a really nice program called
/usr/bin/say which just synthesizes stdin into speech and plays it
through the sound system.  You can even 'say -o output.aiff' to get
the speech as a file.

I messed around with Festival for a little bit, but I couldn't find
something so simple and turn-key as the OSX program.

- Nathan