[Cialug] Wiki Suggestion Request

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Feb 15 11:28:38 CST 2008

Scalability is exactly the reason we switched from TWiki and eWiki to
MediaWiki.

In fact, most companies with which I have spoken have made similar
transitions to MediaWiki... for whatever that is worth.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

On 2/15/08, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> We use moin moin for our company's wikis and since the 1.5.x series
its has
> wysiwyg support built in. It works well and since upgrading to that
version
> we've had better participation from non-technical people. I prefer not
using
> the wysiwyg unless I need tables and moin lets you easily switch
between the
> two views.

The Fedora Project currently uses Moin Moin, but we're going to be
switching away probably to MediaWiki.  The reasons we're switching is
because it doesn't scale very well (the Fedora Project's wiki is
probably the largest/busiest Moin Moin installation out there) and
because the upstream Moin Moin developers don't seem very eager to
accept patches that the Fedora Project has developed.

Moin Moin uses plain files on disk as it's backend storage.  That
makes it simple to install and backup, but doesn't scale well - on the
Fedora Project wiki it could take minutes to do common operations like
save your edits or do searches.  It'd also fail under high load (esp
when Fedora releases a new version).

That said, if your wiki is going to stay small to medium sized Moin
Moin's a very good choice.

Jeff