[Cialug] Install Troubles

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Wed Feb 13 13:08:10 CST 2008

OK, I've finally taken some time off and I'm trying to get Linux running on my old PC.

The install on what was the "D" drive got as far as trying to start the X server and failed to go any further.

I seem to have trashed something because to proceed any further I had to remove the old "D" drive from the boot sequence or it just hung at a black screen coming up.  Something happened to my "C" drive as well as Windows no longer boots either.

I tried the Ubuntu disk that I got at Raccoon River a few months ago, and it's 64 bit and my computer isn't.

So I tried the Kubuntu disk which I got at the same time and it came up.  It's really slow and I can't save anything, but it was up.

I tried to look at the file system and it says that 0 bytes are available so I assume I'm looking at the CD and not at either of my hard drives that are installed in the computer.

So I tried to install Kubuntu over what was installed on the former "D" drive.  I chose the option to use the whole drive and reformat the partition table and 'loose everything on the drive'.

I'm getting:
7211766 ACPI Unable to load system description tables
Which I suppose is due to me booting from a CD rather than an install, but it goes on so I'm not too worried about this one.  I'm including it in case it really is significant and I don't know it.

I'm getting:
Fatal: Error inserting battery /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko
But it goes on, so I'm not thinking this is too serious either, but . .  .

The same thing happened when I booted directly to Kubuntu from the CD so that's why this one doesn't worry me.

Then I got:
KNOTIFY - Disable ARTS sound output
Well, OK, I can leave the sound off for now.  It says that I can be turned back on later.  I'll go with that after things are up and running.

Then I got:
Error: Kdesktop process for the file protocol died unexpectedly
I clicked "OK" three times before it went away and stayed away.

And finally I'm getting
Failed to create a file system - the ext3 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb)
When I click OK the install process goes back to the 2nd of 6 questions it asks at the beginning of the install process, and everything repeats from that point.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Murray McKee
Data Analyst
LI Data Modeling, Mapping, and Analysis
Wells Fargo Lending Information Systems - TIG (Technology Information Group)
Mail: 1 Home Campus
MAC X2301-03G
Des Moines, IA 50328
WORK (515)324-4689 Cell (515) 559-4390  FAX (515) 324-4452
Location: 800 S. Jordan Creek Parkway
West Des Moines, IA 50266
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."