[Cialug] How many people are using Python ?

Chris Freeman cwfreeman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:59:00 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com>wrote:

> If I write anything at home its in Python.  I absolutely refuse to use
> PHP any more and I hate Ruby's syntax.  (My eternal love is C so I'm
> not keen on Ruby's syntax nor its progenitors.)

I find it interesting to see someone from a C background interested in
Python because I strongly associate Python with whitespace syntax and
whitespace syntax with makefiles. And the biggest problems I've ever had
with makefiles have always originated from screwing up the tabs/spaces.

Most people counter with 'well, use a good IDE'. But for one-off projects,
I'm more likely to use Vim, and I don't like to clutter my IDE with tab
marks anyway.

Besides, Perl does everything I need to get done, and does it well, so I've
never successfully picked up any other similar languages. I've tried Ruby
with a little success, and I've tried Scala and a few others. But if you've
got enough tools in your tool chest, it's harder to learn new ones. Maybe I
should brush off my Ruby book again...

Chris