[Cialug] MythTV HD tuner?

Nathaniel Petersen major.stubble at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:25:57 CST 2008

I'm sure there are others that will correct me on this one, but why
would you need to encode HD?  The signal is already mpeg2, so you
should be able to copy it straight to your system, right?  Sure, if
you want it to encapsulate it into a compressed avi, then you would
need to encode it, but nothing more than if you were doing the same to
a ripped DVD.

As an aside, it is worth noting that the MythTV wiki does say this
about the card:

--Update Nov-2008 - This worked out of the box on Mythbuntu 8.10 which
comes with 2.6.27 kernel. The firmware was needed on this application
as well. There is a "raspy" electronic sound that I have yet to fix.

You should also take note of the firmware section, as I know from
experience in the past with other Pinnacle TV cards that they love to
release these cards with less than optimal firmware and improve it
once they know how many suckers bought it in the first place.

Personally, I'm going to pass, as things are tight right now, and that
$25 will actually fill up my car with gas now.