[Cialug] Mediacom and Qwest IPs

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Dec 9 16:33:51 CST 2008

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Josh More
> <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone on this list happen to have a handy reference for the
>> Internet IP addresses that Mediacom and Qwest assign to consumers in
>> Iowa?  I need to secure a client to the best extent feasible.  They're
>> Iowa-only and we need to block out specifically people from other
>> countries (I know, I know).
>>
>> I'm thinking it would be easier to do allow the majority of local ISPs
>> and deny everything else, rather than trying to build a blacklist from
>> ARIN.
>>

> I hope you're charging this client an nice hourly rate becuase this is
> going to be a difficult, if not impossible task.  (Personally I'd say
> it's pointless, but it's their money I guess).
>
> Don't forget about "ISPs" like the ICN, U of I, and Iowa State.
>
> And what about wireless providers like Verizon, US Cellular, etc.?
>
> Might be worth looking into the various geolocation databases out there.

Geolocation only works if the DNS has the proper entries for it, and it
can be set to say whatever you want.

Also - besides all of the small ISP's, don't forget all of the companies
around that may have various ISP's, whose arin info may say they're from
out of state.

I checked the old IP blocks we haven't had since about 10 years ago, and
they've finally changed the arin info for them.

-dc